This page contains resources for use by Great Hearts Irving students for remote education during school closures in Spring 2020. For the most up-to-date information from Great Hearts and a list of frequently asked questions, please visit the Great Hearts Coronavirus webpage.
Parents may visit the Great Hearts Texas Resources webpage for relevant and updated information regarding Remote Learning. Please bookmark this page and check for updates once or twice a week.
Remote Learning Instructions
Faculty have designed a collection of time-honored material, consistent with the Great Hearts curriculum, for students to complete at home. These Remote Learning Packets will be housed in Google Classroom as well as on this site, updated weekly.
Printed copies of the packets remain available to pick up and drop off at both campuses. Lower School packets may be picked up and dropped off in the courtyard each Monday from 8:00-3:00 p.m. Upper School packets may be picked up or dropped off any time between 8:00-2:00 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Accessing Google Classroom
To access digital resources on Google Classroom, parents were required to submit the Parental Consent Form in order to receive a username and password. If you are experiencing issues logging in to the platform, please review the following possible solutions.
- As a reminder, the emails containing student login credentials were only sent to the primary parent/guardian listed on each student’s record. If you are listed as the secondary contact, please reach out to the primary contact.
- If you have more than one student, you should have received a separate email for each child.
- Rather than using class codes, GHI created accounts for each student. Each teacher individually invited students to join the classroom through that specific account. If you are asked to enter a class code, please ensure that you have logged out of your personal Google Suite and log in using the provided credentials.
- Check your spam/clutter inboxes.
- Search your inbox for the subject line: “Great Hearts Irving Google Classroom” or “GHI Google Classroom”.
- Lower School Remote Learning Packets may be scanned and emailed to teachers or uploaded to Google Classroom.
- Beginning with week 2, Remote Learning Packets for the Upper School will be returned primarily by students via Google Classroom. See here for an instructional video with step-by-step instructions on how to digitally submit packets.
If you have a question regarding the Remote Learning Packets, please reach out directly to teachers.
Remote Learning Packets
Click here to access digital copies of Lower School packets from the 2019-2020 school year. Upper School packets can be found at the links below.
Are you having problems viewing PDFs on our website? Some browsers change their settings after updates are installed. A recent update has made PDFs immediately download instead of opening the document to view.
We invite families to play an active role in supporting students as they learn remotely by creating structures and routines, providing a dedicated space free of distractions, monitoring progress and assessing needs, ensuring academic honesty, and supplementing learning with literature, music, exercise, and other enriching activities. We will continue to provide recommendations and resources throughout the weeks ahead to support our families in this endeavor.
Lower School Daily Reading
While we are away from school, we recommend that all Lower School students spend at least 20 minutes per day reading. If your child is looking for something new to read and you need recommendations, two great places to start are John Senior’s list of the “Thousand Good Books” and the carefully-curated Amazon Wish List our Lower School teachers and administrators assembled for our Storybook Festival earlier in the year. We have also compiled lists of recommended audiobooks available for free on both Audible and Librivox.
GHI Family-Owned Businesses to Support:
If you or someone you know owns a business not already included on the list below, please email Info@GreatHeartsIrving.org with details.
Adobo Puerto Rican Cafe
Bawarchi Indian Cuisine
The Halal Guys
Lamberti’s Ristorante and Wine Bar
Nosh and Bottle Market (GHI supporters)
VDP Partners, Public Insurance Adjusters
3 Sons Salsa