Lower School Meet the Teacher
Families, we are so eager to welcome you to the 2021–2022 school year! Please plan to join us for our annual Meet the Teacher celebration on Monday, August 9th to drop off supplies and medication, purchase planners and Nicky folders, pick up carline placards, see your child’s classroom and, of course, meet your child’s new teachers!
In addition to your child’s teachers, the following Lower School faculty and staff will be available in the Commons throughout Meet the Teacher:
- Leadership Team
- Nurse Holobowicz
- Parent Service Organization (PSO)
- Athenaeum Coordinator
- Keo Strull, Director of Academy Giving
- Ben Moore, Special Education Coordinator
- Celina Martinez, ESL Coordinator
- Travis Kern, Section 504 Coordinator
What time should we come to the school?
- Lower School families (parents/guardians and students) should join us on campus Monday, August 9th sometime during the following times: 7:30–9:00am, 12:00–1:30pm, or 4:00–5:30pm.
- Please feel free to come at any time during the above windows.
Please Note: The Meet the Teacher celebration is meant to provide your family an introduction to the teacher and the classroom. There will be further opportunities throughout the year to meet with teachers about specific issues or concerns pertaining to your child.
How will we purchase Nicky folders and planners?
- Nicky folders (all students) and student planners (3rd–5th Grade only) will be available for purchase at Meet the Teacher in the Commons.
- Please bring cash: Nicky folders are $2, and planners are $8.
Update! 2nd grade scholars no longer need student planners for this school year.
What should we bring?
- Please bring all school supplies (EduKits) with you to drop off in your child’s classroom.
- Please also bring cash to purchase Nicky folders and student planners.
- If you have not done so already, be sure to bring up-to-date shot records to drop off with the School Nurse.
- Meet the Teacher will also provide you an opportunity to bring in all prescribed/over-the-counter medications that your child will need for the upcoming school year. The appropriate Request for Medication Administration form will need to be filled out when the medication is dropped off. Please visit greatheartsirving.org/health for full details.
How will I find out who my child’s teachers are?
- Class rosters for 1st through 5th Grades will be posted for families to review when you arrive on campus for Meet the Teacher.
- This year Kindergarteners will spend the first three days of the school year (August 11–13) floating between all four Kindergarten classrooms getting to meet all the teachers. This will help their transition into their new school go as smoothly as possible and give us a chance to get to know them as well before assigning them a classroom. Permanent classroom assignments for Kindergarten will be emailed to parents by Saturday, August 14th. More details about the first days of Kindergarten can be found at greatheartsirving.org/kindergarten.
- Kindergarten families should visit the Forum (one of our lunchrooms) where all our Kindergarten teachers will be present to greet you and you will able able to drop off your child’s supplies.
For any questions about Meet the Teacher, please reach out to the Assistant Headmaster at Thomas.Beyer@greatheartsirving.org.