Lower School Meet the Teacher
Families, we are looking forward eagerly to welcoming you to the 2023–2024 school year! Please plan to join us for our annual Meet the Teacher celebration on Friday, August 11th to drop off supplies and medication, purchase planners and Nicky folders, purchase your child’s Classics to Keep, pick up carline placards, see your child’s classroom, and, of course, meet your child’s new teachers!
In addition to your child’s teachers, the following Lower School faculty and staff will be available in the Forum throughout Meet the Teacher:
- Leadership Team
- Nurse Holobowicz
- Parent Service Organization (PSO)
- Shanda Stanley, Campus Coordinator for Athenaeum and Co-Curricular Programs
- Ben Moore, Special Education Coordinator
- ESL Department
- Section 504 Coordinator
What time should we come to the school?
- Lower School families (parents/guardians and students) should join us on campus Friday, August 11th sometime during the following times: 7:30–9:00am, 12:00–1:30pm, or 4:00–5:30pm.
- Please feel free to come at any time during the above windows.
Please Note: At Meet the Teacher we ask that you limit your conversation with your child’s teacher to a brief introduction in order to allow time for every student to meet their new teacher. There will be further opportunities throughout the year to meet with teachers about specific issues or concerns pertaining to your child.
How will we purchase Nicky folders and planners?
- Nicky folders and student planners are included with EduKit purchases and will be delivered to your child’s classroom prior to Meet the Teacher. For those who did not purchase an EduKit, Nicky folders (all students) and planners (3rd–5th Grade only) will be available for purchase at Meet the Teacher in the Forum.
- Please bring cash: Nicky folders are $2, and planners are $8.
What about Classics to Keep?
- We are delighted to once again be offering parents the opportunity to purchase your child’s Classics to Keep directly from the school at a significant discount over retail. Simply complete your payment online, and we will deliver your child’s books directly to their classroom as they are needed throughout the school year. When they’re finished with the book, they’ll take it home and it will be theirs to keep forever.
- Classics to Keep will be purchased via credit card using our online payment system; we can also accept cash.
What should we bring?
- Please bring all school supplies (EduKits) with you to drop off in your child’s classroom.
- Please also bring cash to purchase Nicky folders and student planners.
- If you have not done so already, be sure to bring up-to-date shot records to drop off with the School Nurse.
- Meet the Teacher will also provide you an opportunity to bring in all prescribed/over-the-counter medications that your child will need for the upcoming school year. The appropriate Request for Medication Administration form will need to be filled out when the medication is dropped off. Please visit greatheartsirving.org/health for full details.
How will I find out who my child’s teachers are?
- Class rosters for 1st through 5th Grades will be posted for families to review when you arrive on campus for Meet the Teacher.
- Kindergarteners will spend the first two days of the school year (August 15th and 16th) visiting all four Kindergarten classrooms getting to meet all the teachers for what we call Kindergarten Academy. This will help their transition into their new school go as smoothly as possible and give us a chance to get to know them as well before assigning them a classroom. Permanent classroom assignments for Kindergarten will be emailed to parents by the evening of Wednesday, August 16th. More details about the first days of Kindergarten can be found at greatheartsirving.org/kindergarten.
- Kindergarten families should visit all four Kindergarten classrooms during Meet the Teacher so they will have a chance to meet all the teachers they will be spending time with during “Kindergarten Academy” and to drop off their supplies.
Medication Drop Off
Meet the Teacher will provide Great Hearts Irving parents the opportunity to bring in all prescribed/over-the-counter medications that your child will need for the upcoming school year. The appropriate Request for Medication Administration form below will need to be filled out when the medication is dropped off. This will also be the scheduled time to fill out and turn in all other medical forms and action plans. Visit greatheartsirving.org/health for more details.
For any questions about Meet the Teacher, please reach out to Mr. Beyer at Thomas.Beyer@greatheartstxschools.org.